Learning Management System
Pilot’s scalable web-based LMS application centralized and automated its training systems.
Pilot is an independent insurance adjusting firm headquartered in Mobile, AL, with additional offices in Dallas, TX, and Hudson, OH. Pilot has proven to be an industry leader by working every major catastrophe for more than three decades. Pilot works with Catastrophe Management Solutions (CMS) to provide 24-hour assistance through customer service representatives, claims processors, and administrative support staff.
Pilot was looking for a scalable, web-based LMS application in order to consolidate its training initiatives and to centralize and automate its training systems. The LMS needed to support portability standards and facilitate assembly of learning materials and rapid delivery, along with the ability to handle classroom courses in various locations.
The LMS also needed to track CE license requirements. Pilot requested features such as technical references, checklists, podcasts, job aids, and an e-commerce store to sell courses.
WBPRO created a learning platform that aggregates self-study courses, quizzes, assessments, and exams, allowing users to earn credit against an expanding list of offered courses and certifications.
Below are the main features available in the LMS learner area. The following features in the LMS were only possible because of scalable functionality and flexibility.
Learner dashboard: This is the landing page of the learner. This section provides the required information for a learner. The dashboard provides smooth and easy navigation to explore all functionalities in the LMS. This area shows Scheduled Courses, the Learning Path, ILT Courses, and CE Courses. Each can be viewed separately by choosing the option provided. Selecting “All” will display all Scheduled Courses, ILT Courses, and Learning Paths assigned to a learner. Below are the main features:
- View and edit the learner profile.
- News section: LMS News is a content area used to announce maintenance messages or other important systems-related news.
- Search facility: The search engine provides facility to search all available materials in LMS learner area such as courses, technical reference books, contents, Job Aid videos, podcasts, etc.
- View transcript details and download certificate.
- View Learning Path: The “Learning Path” area houses all of the learning materials of the system, which includes Courses, Technical Reference Books, Podcast, and Checklist.
- Learning Path: Learners can review their assigned learning path. They can plan the training better and have an overall view of the training strategy in place. Courses are automatically assigned to the learners based on the training paths, completions, and prerequisites. The system alerts the learners if training is due via email and through the alert system on the application. The learners cannot edit the learning path.
- Technical Reference: Technical Reference is a knowledge base book library thhat can be searched by book/topic and navigated based on topics. Books related to the topics are managed by Managers or Administrators. Technical Reference books are easily accessible by the learner; this area lists all assigned books classified per category. Each book can be easily navigated with an intuitive menu and index map. The search engine allows learners to search for specific topics. The Learners Dashboard will have a link to Technical References. Every learning material on the LMS keeps a record of the times it has been accessed. The learners can see how many times they have accessed a material, and administrators/managers can create reports on usage.
- Checklist: Checklists are downloadable documents with checklists for commonly used processes. Checklists are classified per category and sub-category.
- Podcast: Podcasts are audio files that are also part of courseware and can be played via MP3 players by the learners. There is a Podcasts index that has links to available Podcasts. The learners can initiate the playing of podcasts. Podcasts are assigned by managers and trainers.
- Course Catalog: Learners can browse/view the course catalog and the available courses. They can enroll or purchase courses here.
- Course Transcripts: Transcripts are generally used to refer to information related to various actions (such as course assessments, including quizzes and mastery tests) carried out by learners in a course. The system stores the transcripts of each and every activity of the course. Learners can view details such as Pre-Test scores, Quizzes scores, Mastery scores, enroll dates, times taken, duration, number of sessions, etc., and a learner (the one who successfully completes a course) can view and print the course completion certificate.
- Alerts and emails: Learners can view all alerts, including dashboard alerts. The system displays alerts and emails through the user Mailbox interface. Alerts are used to notify learners about new assignments, past-due assignments, course expiration, and system maintenance, among others. An internal mail system allows functionality such as composing messages, managing incoming mail through filters, sorting messages by date/sender, etc.
- Job Aid videos: Job Aid videos can be accessed through the LMS or by a direct link. Videos can be grouped by a Job Aid name and category.
- Continuing Education Credit and Certificates: Learners can add their Adjuster CE licenses in the LMS, and the LMS will apply for credits automatically when a learner completes the required course.
Admin Area: The back office tasks of the LMS system are carried out from this module. Administrators, Managers, and Trainers have access to this module. To access this module, there is a secure login. This area covers functionalities available to Administrators and Managers.
LMS API: LMS API enables developers to connect their applications to the LMS. This allows for greater integration of training data generated in the LMS with any other systems that are currently used in your organization.
Learners—Here are the main benefits to the learners on the system:
- Training platform for more than 27,000 learners.
- Hassle-free learner deployment in every event.
- Easy generation of certificates.
- Automatic application process of CE credits.
- Accessibility to all course materials from a single system.
- Course purchase facility.
- User-friendly application.
Admin—Here are the main benefits to the admin of the system:
- User-friendly course builder.
- Easy assignment process.
- Customizable alerts and email.
- Automatic alerts and notifications.
- Various reports and customizable report module.
- Transcript editing facility.
The Results: The most significant benefits realized by Pilot include:
- 60% reduction in the cost of training assistance.
- 33% increase in administrative and training efficiency.
- Improved engagement and retention among learners.
- 60% cost reduction in per-employee cost vs. traditional training.
- 85% of leaners report that they feel more engaged in their job.
- Over 90% recommend the program to other employees.
Pilot Catastrophe Service
See what Pilot’s director has to say about the LMS we built for them.
“We have partnered with WBPRO for more than 10 years to develop and maintain several software applications. Due to the nature of our business, we require secure enterprise-grade applications, and WBPRO has continuously delivered with great success at a reasonable cost. They are client-focused and go the extra mile to make the product better.”
Director, Pilot Catastrophe Service, Inc